SPEAK OUT!® and The LOUD Crowd® Programs
Now Offering the SPEAK OUT!® and The LOUD Crowd® Programs!
Introducing a new program for people with Parkinson’s disease and other related Parkinson-plus conditions including, essential tremor, progressive supra-nuclear palsy, corticobasal degeneration, Lewey body dementia, multiple systems atrophy, and atypical Parkinsonism.
SPEAK OUT!® and The LOUD Crowd® focus on teaching patients to speak and live with intent, so as to improve vocal volume, speech clarity, swallowing skills, and cognitive abilities.
The program combines patient and family education, intensive individual therapy, and ongoing group therapy to target a range of deficit areas. Patients begin the program by participating in SPEAK OUT!®, which consists of intensive individual speech therapy 3 times per week for about one month. Once patients graduate from SPEAK OUT!®, they transition into The LOUD Crowd®, a therapy group focused on maintaining skills learned in SPEAK OUT!® and on establishing a safe, supportive community for people with Parkinson’s disease. Patients also attend a follow-up session with their SLP every 3-6 months to monitor progress and refresh skills as needed.
What Are The Next Steps:
- We will first arrange for you to have a speech-language evaluation with our certified SPEAK OUT!® and LOUD Crowd® speech-language pathologist (SLP).
- After your initial evaluation you and your loved ones will attend an information session to better understand the impact of Parkinson’s disease and related disorders on speech, voice, swallowing, and cognition. You will also learn more about the treatment program and how it will help you to achieve your goals.
- You will begin intensive individual speech therapy with our SPEAK OUT!® certified SLP. Sessions will be held 3 times a week for one month and last for 30 minutes each. You will also receive a workbook containing once-to-twice daily practice lessons that are crucial for improving and maintaining skills in speech, voice, swallowing, and cognition.
- Once the SPEAK OUT!® portion of the program is completed, you will be enrolled in our LOUD Crowd® therapy group where you will continue to maintain and carry-over the skills learned in SPEAK OUT!® to natural contexts while building a support network of people with Parkinson’s disease and related disorders.
At SHA, SPEAK OUT!® sessions are being conducted at various times throughout the week and our LOUD Crowd® is expected to meet at 1 pm on Friday afternoons. Sessions will be held both in-person and virtually. Speech and Hearing Associates accepts Medicare and most insurance.
LSVT-LOUD (Lee Silverman Voice Treatment)
LSVT-LOUD (Lee Silverman Voice Treatment) is a structured treatment program for individuals with Parkinson’s disease, multiple system atrophy, and other diagnoses who are experiencing:
- Low vocal volume
- Difficulty varying pitch
- Breathy quality of voice
- Mumbled or slurred speech
- Reduced facial and vocal expression
LSVT typically entails 4 weekly 60 minute treatment sessions over 4 consecutive weeks with daily homework and carryover strategies. Treatment focuses on LOUD voice production which targets healthy vocal and respiratory function to allow for improved communication and quality of life. Treatment goals include independent self-monitoring for natural use of effort needed to produce an appropriately loud, healthy voice. A modified treatment schedule can be implemented while principles of LSVT are maintained.