What is Auditory Training?
The professionals at Speech & Hearing Associates (SHA) have developed a unique individualized program of strategies and exercises to maximize communication for individuals with hearing loss. We work on skills that are patient and family-centered. Each session is run jointly by a speech-language pathologist and audiologist.
Research shows that individuals who participate in auditory training programs report:
- Higher satisfaction with their hearing aids.
- Improved problem-solving in difficult listening situations.
- Improved quality of life.
- Fewer troubleshooting visits with their audiologist.
Is Auditory Training Right for Me?
If you experience any of the following, auditory training may be right for you:
- Do you hear but not understand?
- Do you struggle to remember what someone just said to you?
- Do you have trouble ‘keeping up’ or think others talk too fast?
- Do you find group conversations difficult?
- Do you struggle in background noise?
How Will I Benefit from Auditory Training?
Through auditory training programs and rehabilitation, we set goals and teach compensatory strategies to:
- Understand and educate others about your hearing loss and listening needs.
- Increase the ability to process, understand, and recall rapid speech.
- Improve speech understanding in noise or other challenging listening environments.
- Learn or improve lip-reading skills.
- Assess difficult listening situations and modify environments for better communication.
- Develop strategies with family members to make communication easier.
How Do I Get Started?
First, contact us to discuss your hearing challenges with your audiologist who will determine if you are an appropriate candidate for auditory training. Then we will schedule an evaluation with a speech-language pathologist who will work in collaboration with your referring audiologist.
SHA offers options for:
- Individual therapy
- Weekly auditory training for small groups
- Monthly class for hard of hearing patients and their communication partners
A Time to Listen & Connect
6-Week Virtual Group
This group meets virtually once per week (for six total weeks), for one hour, with different topics each week. Groups are formed based on similar types of hearing loss and needs.
This program’s sessions are a covered Medicare benefit and covered by most other insurance plans.Virtual Auditory Training FAQs Enroll Today!
A Time to Listen & Connect with Your Communication Partners
A Monthly Class for Hard of Hearing Patients
We offer a one-time, hour-long virtual class in the evenings. This class is casual, interactive and fun! All communication partners are encouraged to join as this class focuses more on communication between family and friends.
Our next class will be offered:
- March 21, 2024
- 7:00p.m. – 8:00p.m.
- Cost: $100
- Upcoming Class Dates: April 18
If you are interested in joining our next class, or would like more information, please call us at (732) 750-4660.