- 1 in 4 children, age 0-5 years are at moderate or high risk for developmental, behavioral, or social delay.
- About 1 in 6 children aged 3-17 has a developmental disability.
- About 1 in 68 children has autism spectrum disorder.
- Severe speech language disorders in young children can negatively affect later educational achievement, even after intensive intervention.
- Children in whom speech and language impairments persist past five and a half years of age have an increased incidence of attention and social difficulties.
- Children with specific speech and language impairments at seven and a half to thirteen years of age have been shown to have impaired writing skills, with marketed deficits in spelling and punctuation.